By Jon Dougherty
(TNS) Supporters of President Donald Trump know that his campaign rallies are well-attended, jubilant, and raucous, with each venue filled to capacity as scores more who came to see him watch on TV monitors set up outdoors.
But a funny thing happened on the way to his 2020 reelection: Trump is not just attracting his usual supporters, he seems to be making inroads with voters who do not identify with his Republican Party.
His campaign manager, Brad Parscale, is a very data-driven kind of guy, and he released some amazing survey figures from the president’s recent campaign event in Toledo, Ohio, a battleground state.
Nearly 43 percent of those in attendance actually identified either as Democrats or political Independents.
On average, according to Parscale, 23 percent of rally-goers identify as Democrats; in Toledo, that figure was 21.9 percent. But Parscale, who has never before reported Independent stats, said that 20.9 percent of attendees said they were Independents, which means in total, roughly 42.8 percent of attendees were not Republicans.
Before the 2016 election, pollsters said that Ohio was leaning Republican, but its a bellwether state; Buckeye voters have voted for the winner in every presidential election since 1964, which, of course, would include going twice for Obama.
But as we noted last week, Ohio is not just leaning red but trending that way, thanks in large part to Donald Trump being president:
The battleground state of Ohio is looking less and less like a true battleground and more like a solidly red state, thanks to President Donald Trump and, ironically, to the Democrat Party.
As the 2020 presidential campaign cycle begins in earnest, Trump has already made a campaign stop in the Buckeye State, and as usual, it was well attended and he was well-received. …
President Trump’s appeal to the American working class is obvious but it has been derided by the Democrat Party as “racist,” “nativist,” “bigoted,” and “homophobic” — and in turn, working class Americans who support him in Ohio and beyond have been saddled with those labels too by arrogant, Left-wing elitists from the left and right coasts.
Nobody likes to be called names, especially when they are blatantly untrue. And so…Ohio no longer belongs to the Democrat Party, thanks in part to Trump’s appeal and in part to Democratic hubris and dismissal.
Parscale also reported another interesting stat: 5,216 voters identified, or about 23 percent of the total number of people in attendance, did not vote in 2016. And yet, they braved weather and crowds to show up to see the president.
Here are the stats:
Big data from Toledo:
✅ 22,927 Voters Identified
✅ 18,210 Voters From Ohio
✅ 5,216 Registrants Didn’t Vote in 2016
✅ 21.9% Democrats
✅ 20.9% Independents
Rallies = Winning Data! pic.twitter.com/FtYFkbzXbD
— Brad Parscale – Text TRUMP to 88022 (@parscale) January 11, 2020
As Red State notes, “His rallies tend to draw many people who have voted once in the last four elections or some who have not voted at all in the last four elections. These people can almost be considered new voters.”
If enthusiasm counts — and it does, though the Garbage Party will tell you otherwise — Trump’s voting base is not only energized but so, too, are newcomers aboard the Trump Train.
- We need your help to grow, pure and simple. Share our stories, make sure to tell your friends about us, and click the red bell in the right corner for push notifications.
GOT SOMETHING TO SAY? COMMENT BELOW
if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = "http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=1443946719181573&version=v2.12";
}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));